Monday, September 21, 2009

{ a pocketful of grace }

My first-day-of-October collection of thankfuls.


My $ 2.00 bargain bouquet of the most gorgeous dahlias from a nearby roadside stand.

Morning and evening's necessity to " run and put on a sweater."

Annabelle's delight in learning. You should have seen her excitement over learning the the word polliwog today. We are reading Charlotte's Web out loud. A real chapter book. She sits perfectly still and stares at my face, spellbound. But then she also argues with me like a practiced 15 year old. Right now she's equal parts heart-melting + hard.

Dreaming of baking up something spicy and comforting. And then sharing with loved ones and neighbors, over a big steamy mugs of good earth tea. Now if I only I could decide either apple or pumpkin?

Giddy, so giddy at the thought of moving at the end of the month...knowing that friends are waiting with open arms, ready to love us. Also giddy for our friends who have over the summer become man and wife or welcomed sweet new babies, for friends who are moving + settling into their new homes. As the answered prayers unfold around us and your heart aches with gratitude. Still we continue to pray and pray for friends that are still waiting for it to be their turn.
Annabelle rosy-cheeked and twirling as flame-tipped leaves swirl around the yard in the wind.

Our little evening visit with Granny Annie. And how wonderful it is to really truly see her back to herself again.
Snacks of perfectly crisp apple slices + juice-down-your-chin pears.
Recent cravings for the company of a good book. And have been staying up into the wee hours of the morning curled up on the couch reading to the the soft beat + rhythm of the rain against the window as background music.
Stretching out the early morning under the cover giggles, cozy + snuggled up together...
Loving the schemes and plans and brainstorming sessions with David, over ideas for the house. And our future.
Jack's delicious roly-poly-ness. His unbelievable squishy kissy cuddle-bug cuteness. Oh and did I mention, he's sporting not just one but two (hard earned) wee pearly whites. That and he's had his first taste of real food? Pumpkin pie. Straight off Daddy's fork. First he loved it...and then he puckered up and made terrible faces and we laughed so hard, and then after he got used to the texture, he loved it again and clamored for more. He is dying to crawl and gets up on all fours and rocks back and forth. Once he figures out how to move his arms he will be everywhere.
Longing to grow. Keenly aware of my insecurities, of how ugly the selfishness in me is.
" Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound. " Rom. 5: 20
The fear is like a blister. Doubts tug at me.
Until I remember Jesus. Then I am overwhelmed by His goodness. Overtaken by love.
Perfect Love.
" For perfect love casts out fear." 1 John 4: 18
And then my smile returns. And it is huge.

14 comments:

Aunt Tea said...

so nice to read one of your posts. i crave loveliness that comes from godly friends. that and some kind of spiritual nap. one that banishes weariness.
have a blessed fall friend.

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Chelle - such wonderful things. I've missed your posts - but of course understand their is so much going on in your life right now.

Those dahlias are so gorgeous. So cheery.

God has been chipping away at so much selfishness and impatience lately in my own life and those verses you shared were just perfect...

Lisa said...

Sounds like you've slipped into fall so beautifully and easily! This posting makes me wish for a quiet day (although I know yours are far from quiet ;)) to enjoy this new season ...

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love to see you back to this little sweet spot of yours...can't wait to meet you in real life very, very soon!

Cottage Mommy

Andi Mae said...

You moving soon is on my own grateful list too! Oh, I seriously cannot wait! And I can completely relate to the selfishness thing- it is one of the things I despise the most about myself. Don't you think reading Holy Experience has been so good for that? It has helped me see it in myself all the more, while at the same time been so very, very encouraging! I love you so much, sweet friend.

P.S. I did the Anne of Green Gables quiz on facebook after I saw yours- any guesses as to who I was? Hint, hint- it was the perfect match to yours :)

swell.life said...

So heartwarming.

Can't believe Jack has already sprouted 2 teeth and is making moves to crawl!! Such a big boy.

Love Charlotte's web.

Praying all goes well with your big move, my dear!

Deborah said...

Did I ever tell you that you are a dear? I love you Chelle.

Jen said...

I love this post and october too! The dahlias make me want to go pick some up myself!

shabby girl said...

What a wonderful post! Yeah, life, huh?

And then...
The fear is like a blister. Doubts tug at me.

Until I remember Jesus. Then I am overwhelmed by His goodness. Overtaken by love.

Perfect Love.

God bless you, and your wonderful little family!!!

~beautyandjoy~ said...

This is so beautiful. And I love the thought of the first taste of food ever being pumpkin pie...that is so precious and what a fun memory!I miss your writing very much. xox

shabby girl said...

It seems to be such a conscious effort to "turn it over", doesn't it?

So many nights, I wake up in the middle of the night, wrought with worry, stupid with planning, when all along, I just need to tell Him, "Please, you do it. I can't!" And He does.

I just wanted to check in with you. Wishing you wondrous days, and a glorious life!

Laurie said...

My first visit to your blog- I am so impressed, not just with the blog but the beautiful and Godly woman, wife and mother you are and am so happy for you. Where is it that you are moving to? Can't wait to see photos of the house. I just started a blog but not much on it yet, just figuring it out! Will let you know the link soon. Bye!

Ace said...

a very lovely post as always. i am grateful to God for the wonderful things he has provided for you and your family.

Jacy said...

Just wanted to come by real quick to let you know I miss you sweet friend! And hoping you and your sweet family are having lots of fun fixing up your new home sweet home! Wish I could swing over and help you or just play with those precious kids either one! Love you and hope everything is treating you well beautiful lady!!